The world is complex and interconnected boosted by the omniscient presence of digital technologies. Employees have expectations that favour personal developments and more sustainability in the workplace. Emerging economies challenge industrial economies in their very core bringing uncertainty for the time to come. Meaning is no longer provided by societal systems.
Consequently, companies evolve to cope with these new parameters to become MEANINGFUL ORGANIZATIONS. They become more agile with engaged employees. These organizations rethink:
- The way objectives are set to become a purpose driven organization. Objectives are set in accordance to this purpose and the resulting guiding values. Like riding a bike, the long term objectif is known and constant adaptation is made on day to day basis to capture the reality of a ever changing environment
- The way people get motivated based on intrinsic motivations.
Replacing the “carrot and stick” mechanism of rewards, motivation is based on what employees find challenging and stimulating to do.
- The way decisions are made to empower everyone. Instead of concentrating the power to a few individuals, everybody can decide based on clear role definitions and accountability creating a Wearchy.
- The way activities are coordinated to get bureaucracy to a minimum. Trust and transparency are the two fondamental principals that allow procedures not to rule the workplace. Procedures “emerge” based on a collective need instead on being designed to control a behaviour only witnessed from a minority.
- The way leadership is distributed to serve everyone. The leaders in meaningful organizations serve instead of direct. It has the sole purpose to create a nurturing environment for everyone to thrive.
- The way change is implemented using virality. In meaningful organizations, change is not only a big bang decided from the top. It uses the power of stories, the agility of experiments and the base of informal networks to expand within an organization.
Some companies have pioneered alternative management and organization development (SEMCO, Patagonia) for a while now. Others are emerging like Buurtzorg or Zappos. But every organization from small to big, from for-profit to non-for-profit can evolve and implement future proof practices.
This is the mission of AnLuMa
Building Meaningful Organizations
Enjoy the ANLUMA blog page!